Spirit Airlines Credit Card Review & Benefits Analysis
This Spirit Airlines Credit Card Review in 2015 is part of our travel deals series. We review the current best credit cards and break down the fine print to help you make a decision on the best travel deals that work for you.
For those of you that love budget air travel, it just got even easier. While Spirit Airlines may lack some of the luxuries that many status-providing airlines typically will, the Spirit Airlines Credit Card (which is a World MasterCard issued by Bank of America), could net you up to 3 round trip off-peak flights simply by making one purchase with this card once you’re approved.
For those of you not familiar with Spirit Airlines — it’s an ultra low-cost, budget airline with a relatively expansive route chart. Spirit flies primarily domestically, but also to a number of Caribbean, Central American and South American destinations closest to the equator. While the fares are typically dirt cheap, they aren’t afraid to charge you upwards of $25 to bring a carry-on along with one personal item. That said, just beware of Spirit trying to nickel and dime you for the small things.
Why the Spirit Airlines Credit Card Deserves a Review
Putting aside some of the relatively poor reviews regarding the actual travel experience on Spirit Airlines, their credit card isn’t too shabby. The signup bonus for the Spirit Airlines Credit Card will net you 15,000 miles. I know that doesn’t sound like a lot these days, with other credit cards offering upwards of 40,000. However, that 15,000 goes into your mileage bank after you make just one purchase with the card. Then, those 15,000 signup miles can be used to book as many as 3 round trip off-peak flights.
While the signup bonus for the Spirit Airlines World MasterCard is lucrative, it’s the earning potential with this card that makes it worth reviewing. You’ll earn 2 miles per $1 spent on ALL purchases with your Spirit Airlines credit card. Considering that’s on par with both the Barclaycard Arrival Plus, and the Chase Sapphire Preferred, it’s not a bad start. Plus, seeing as how cheap Spirit’s award bookings are, you’ll be able to snag additional off-peak fares relatively quickly. It’s also a World MasterCard, meaning you can use it almost anywhere in the world. You also won’t have to pay an annual fee for your first year of card membership. The following year you’ll owe $59.
Spirit adds a bit of earning potential by throwing you an additional 5k miles once a year IF you spend $10,000 in that calendar year and pay off your annual fee.
Note that having the Spirit Airlines credit card will yield cheaper award bookings (non-Spirit Card holders would need 20,000k as opposed to a cardholders 5k). Also note that each award booking will include at least $11.20 in taxes / fees.
IMPORTANT: Once you get the Spirit Airlines Credit Card, note that you MUST use it at least once every 3 months. If you don’t, the miles you’ve accrued will expire.
- 15,000 bonus miles after you make a purchase with the World MasterCard® credit card – enough for up to 3 roundtrip off-peak tickets with taxes and fees from $11.20 per award
- Earn 2 miles for every dollar you spend on purchases with the World MasterCard credit card
- Earn 5,000 anniversary bonus FREE SPIRIT™ miles when you spend at least $10,000 in purchases annually and pay your annual fee
- Start redeeming round-trip reward tickets at just 5,000 FREE SPIRIT™ miles with taxes and fees from $11.20 per award (redemptions levels start at 20,000 FREE SPIRIT™ miles for noncardholders)
- Enjoy an Introductory annual fee of $0 for the first year; a $59 fee will apply to World MasterCard® accounts thereafter†
Additional Perks to the Spirit Airlines World MasterCard
- New cardmembers will automatically be enrolled into the Spirit Airlines FREE SPIRIT™ mileage program
- Mobile banking and credit card management is available with Bank of America’s mobile banking app. Available on iPad, iPhone and Android
- You are not liable for unauthorized or fraudulent use of your Spirit Airlines credit card
- It’s a World MasterCard, which makes it accepted almost anywhere in the world
- Email and or Text alerts can be provided to many devices
- The Spirit Airlines credit card is Chip-technology enabled. Thus providing enhanced security and easier purchases at chip-enabled card terminals. These are already more widely available in over 130 countries.
Spirit Airlines Credit Card Fine Print
- You’ll only earn 2 miles per 1 dollar on purchases. You will not earn miles on money orders or cash equivalents, balance transfers, cash advances, fees or other interest charges
- The APR for purchases and balance transfers with this credit card is 12.99 – 22.99%, depending upon your credit worthiness.
- 0$ Introductory Annual Fee, then, your fee will be $59
- Spirit Airlines FREE SPIRIT miles expire if your account goes dormant for 3 months or longer. Make sure you make at least one purchase per 3 months with the Spirit Airlines credit card in order to hang onto accrued mileage
You can apply for the Spirit Airlines Credit Card at Bank of America’s secure website.