Passport processing times can vary dependent upon the time of year and the kind of passport you’re applying for. However, there are standard passport processing times you can typically expect.
How long does it take to get a passport from start to finish?
Routine: 4-6 Weeks
Expedited: 3 Weeks (Additional Fee)
Expedited at Agency: 8 Business Days* (based on need, restrictions apply, additional fee)
Once your application has been submitted, it takes between 5 and 7 days for the application to be tracked online.
Optional and Special Passport Services:
The U.S. State Department offers optional services for expediting your passport application, overnight delivery and file searches. You can also add pages to your passport, correct data errors and change names if you are eligible. Citizens who are interested in these services should read through these special service fees and requirements at the State Department website.
How do I renew a passport?
- If you’re over the age of 16, U.S. citizens can apply by mail or in person at their local Passport Agency to renew their passport
- Adults over the age of 16 who are currently abroad are required to apply for a passport renewal at a local U.S. Embassy or Consulate
- Adults over the age of 16 currently in Canada may submit this DS-82: Application for U.S. Passport by mail to the address listed on the form.
Please visit the U.S. State Department passport renewal information page for detail on what’s required to submit a renewal request by mail.
Passport Renewal Fees:
- Adult Passport Book: $110
- Adult Passport Card: (If you currently hold a valid passport book or card): $30
- Adult Passport Book & Card: $140